Ep #8: Wild Horse Holding FacilitiesMay 15, 2023
Ep #10: A Tribute to Chiron: The Consequences of Winter’s EndJune 12, 2023
I am absolutely delighted to have Suzanne Roy, the executive director of American Wild Horse Campaign, here today. We’re talking about the lawsuit that the American Wild Horse Campaign filed just a few days ago against the BLM. The government agency has plans for a massive land grab in Wyoming, as well as plans to zero out the wild herds living there and reduce another to a much smaller size.
Suzanne is 25-year animal welfare professional. During her career, she worked to improve the plight of elephants, chimpanzees, marine mammals, and other animals, both in captivity and in the wild. In 2009, she turned her attention to the fight to save America’s wild horses and burros.
Listen in to find out why this lawsuit could be one of the most important cases for the wild horses, the Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act, and all wild horse protected land in America. Donations for the lawsuit are very, very necessary for us to be able to continue, especially if we end up having to go to appeals court. The American Wild Horse Campaign needs your support.
I want to encourage people to follow the American Wild Horse Campaign. Sign up for their newsletter so you can get alerts and find out what you can do to help. And please, donate to their legal fund. This is going to be a really significant fight and we could use all the help that we can get with this lawsuit.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Why the American Wild Horse Campaign lawsuit may be the most important lawsuit ever.
- Why the Rock Springs Grazing Association sued the BLM Wyoming, and the resulting agreement.
- Why the wild horses in Wyoming stand to lose 40% of their land.
- How the federal Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act has been altered by special interest groups.
- Why an adverse decision in this case would have really significant, long-term impacts for wild horses across the West.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Living Images by Carol Walker
- Wild Hoofbeats Blog
- Wild Hoofbeats: America’s Vanishing Wild Horses by Carol Walker
- Books: Blue Zeus, Galloping to Freedom, Wild Hoofbeats
- American Wild Horse Campaign | Instagram | Facebook
- William “Bill” Eubanks II
- Chad Hanson | Wyoming Mustang Institute
- Lynn and Chad Hanson Instagram
- In a Land of Awe by Chad Hanson
- Animal Welfare Institute
- Western Watersheds Project
- Kimerlee Curyl