Action Alert! Keep the McCullough Peaks Herd Intact: Comment NowJuly 23, 2023
Ep #14: Wild Horse Roundups: The Abuse Must EndAugust 14, 2023
The environmental assessment that has been put out by the BLM, where they’re talking about removing a large portion of the McCullough Peaks herd, is terrible. Sandy Sisti is with us today to discuss this topic. Sandy is very familiar with the wild horse families of that area and has not only photographed them, but knows them intimately.
Sandy Sisti of Wild at Heart Images has been a photographer for over twenty years and a lover of wildlife and nature since childhood. Currently, most of her time is devoted to observing and documenting the wild horses of the McCullough Peaks Herd Management Area, a group of horses she considers like family. After spending more than twelve years with the McCullough Peaks horses, she has developed a deep love and respect for all wild horses, and is determined to use her voice to help protect these noble creatures.
We need to tell the BLM that we think the herd needs to be left alone. Please support the “No Action Alternative” which means no removal of horses and continued use of PZP to manage the population by commenting publicly. We only have a 30-day window to publicly comment on this, and comments have to be in by August 12, 2023, at 4:30pm Mountain Time. You will find links for specific talking points in Sandy’s blog below. You can also visit my recent blog for more information.
Subscribe to my blog to get more information on how you can help America’s wild horses.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- What is in the BLM’s environmental assessment.
- Why we question their assessment and plans.
- The conundrum of the BLM’s insistence that management of the herd is a gold standard, yet they plan to eradicate an aging population.
- How there is no livestock damage study done for the range.
- How there is little to no data to back up their assessment, which is required by NEPA (National Environmental Policy Act).
- How we can help protect these horses.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Follow along on Facebook and Instagram!
- Living Images by Carol Walker
- Wild Hoofbeats Blog
- Wild Hoofbeats: America’s Vanishing Wild Horses by Carol Walker
- Sandy Sisti: Website | Wild at Heart Images | Blog with Talking Points | Facebook | Instagram
- Map of McCullough Peaks HMA
- My Blog Action Alert
- McCullough Peaks Talking Points
- The BLM’s McCullough Peaks HMA Bait Trap Gather Environmental Assessment