Ep #15: Blue ZeusSeptember 4, 2023
Ep #17: Visiting Sable IslandOctober 9, 2023
North Lander Complex, which is comprised of four Herd Management Areas near Riverton, is probably one of the least well-known complexes in Wyoming. The roughly 375,000-acre area is beautiful, rugged, and many parts are unattainable by vehicles. The BLM has not done any population and migration studies of the wild horses and their families who live there, but this doesn’t mean they’ve gone unnoticed.
My guest this week, Jim Brown, has lived in Wyoming all his life, exploring and photographing the landscape and wildlife since he was 11 years old. He has been visiting and following the wild horses in the North Lander Complex for the better part of 50 years. Along with his photography, Jim has done his own studies of the wild horses and probably knows their families better than anyone. After moving into the Riverton area, Jim has been able to spread the word about the wild horses and gather enough interest and attention to make it harder for the BLM’s plans to go unnoticed.
In this episode, Jim and I ask you to join us in opposing the BLM’s plan. This plan is truly the most egregious, most punishing plan I have ever seen. Jim has been fighting the constant spin and untruths from various wildlife hunting groups, livestock groups, and the BLM itself, but the BLM doesn’t want observers and they don’t want people witnessing what they’re doing. Tune in this week to learn how you can help shine a light on what they’re doing so we can protect the wild horse herds in the North Lander Complex.
Subscribe to my blog to get more information on how you can help America’s wild horses.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- The four HMAs that make up the North Lander Complex.
- A few details of the BLM’s plan for the upcoming roundup.
- How Jim Brown has been able to gather attention for the wild horses in the North Lander Complex and make it more difficult for the BLM to pursue their plan.
- Why the wild horses are in danger of losing their genetic stability, and in turn, being wiped out if the BLM has their way.
- Why Jim Brown believes that a wild horse study must be done before any plan is put into action.
- Why the BLM’s data is non-existent, incorrect, and inaccurate.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Follow along on Facebook and Instagram!
- Living Images by Carol Walker
- Wild Hoofbeats Blog
- Wild Hoofbeats: America’s Vanishing Wild Horses by Carol Walker
- American Wild Horse Campaign
- Jim Brown: Website | Facebook
- Bureau of Land Management’s plan for North Lander Complex
- BLM Project Locator Map
- BLM Complex Area Map