A Tribute To Bubba, Wild Curly Stallion of Salt Wells CreekAugust 23, 2023
Ep #16: Wild Horses of the North Lander Complex: Interview with Jim BrownSeptember 18, 2023
I was driving on Crooks Gap Road through Arapaho Creek one fall morning looking for horses. I had been visiting this area for the past four years and had gotten to know several wild families of horses over that time. Given that this area and the five herd management areas surrounding it made up over 700,000 acres of public land, there was always a good chance of encountering new families. It just so happened that on this particular day, I would find the most beautiful horse I had ever seen.
One of the most rewarding things about visiting the places where wild horses live is getting to know their habits and their families over time. And over the years, I would get to know Blue Zeus, watch him grow and mature, and have a family of his own. Their wildness is a huge contribution to the soul of our nation, and they touch our hearts with their spirits, beauty, and freedom.
The last time I saw Blue Zeus in the wild, he was standing watch over his family as they grazed. He seemed more alert than usual, and I think it was because he could hear the helicopters in the distance. As tears rolled down my cheeks, I made a promise that I would do everything possible to make sure that he and his family would be together in a safe place. Listen in to find out if I was able to keep my promise to Blue Zeus.
Subscribe to my blog to get more information on how you can help America’s wild horses.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- How I met Blue Zeus.
- More about Blue Zeus and his family life.
- The Red Desert Complex roundup and its consequences.
- How I am desperately searching for Blue Zeus and his family.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Follow along on Facebook and Instagram!
- Living Images by Carol Walker
- Wild Hoofbeats Blog
- Wild Hoofbeats: America’s Vanishing Wild Horses by Carol Walker
- American Wild Horse Campaign
- Blue Zeus: Legend of the Red Desert by Carol J. Walker is available here: https://www.wildhoofbeats.com/product/blue-zeus-legend-of-the-red-desert