Ep #10: A Tribute to Chiron: The Consequences of Winter’s EndJune 12, 2023
Ep #12: Fixing the SAFE Act: Interview with Susan WagnerJuly 17, 2023
Are you curious about the wild horses living in one of the largest herds in Wyoming? If so, then listen in as I take you on a tour of Salt Wells Creek. I’ll describe the horse families that live there, the uniqueness of some of the horses, and the very real danger they’re facing.
Salt Wells Creek HMA (Herd Management Area) is the largest in Wyoming. Most of this land is gently rolling hills with buttes and beautiful rock formations, tall ridges, and includes Aspen and Mellor mountains. My first memorable encounter with wild horses in this area consisted of two families of wild horses. There was a beautiful blue-eyed buckskin stallion with a wide blaze who made me laugh at his expression. He had a large family of Sorrel mares and a foal. I learned that his name was Scarface.
Today, I want to introduce you to a few of my “friends.” There’s the Curly stallion named Bubba. The Cremello foal, Julian. The bay roan stallion Valentino. The stallions Blaze and Silverado. The mares Lavender and Genevieve, and so many more. It is truly amazing how tough these wild horses are, possessed with a deep will and spirit to survive and live free. Let’s make sure photographs and memories are not all that is left of these herds.
Subscribe to my blog to get more information on how you can help America’s wild horses.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- What the Salt Wells Creek HMA consists of.
- How a checkerboard land ownership is defined.
- What the Rock Springs Grazing Association stands to gain from total wild horse removal.
- The origins of Curly horses in Wyoming.
- Some of the rare breeds found in this area.
- Why the lawsuit against the BLM’s plans is so important and what it entails.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Follow along on Facebook and Instagram!
- Living Images by Carol Walker
- Wild Hoofbeats Blog
- Wild Hoofbeats: America’s Vanishing Wild Horses by Carol Walker
- Map of Salt Wells Creek HMA
- American Wild Horse Campaign
- Animal Welfare Institute
- Western Watersheds
- Kimerlee Curyl
- Chad Hanson
- Current BLM lawsuit articles: Here and here.