Introducing Freedom for Wild Horses with Carol J. Walker!March 6, 2023
Ep #2: Wild Horses at Risk of ExtinctionMarch 6, 2023
Our first meeting was all of a sudden. A grey horse with a charcoal mane lunged to his feet and began running toward me, and I realized that this must be the stallion. As he got closer and closer to me, I wondered if he was going to stop, and then I also wondered; what was I going to do if he didn’t? As the stallion approached, more horses behind him unfolded their bodies and rose up from the sagebrush and I was greeted with the most incredible sight of this beautiful wild family.
Welcome to the Freedom for Wild Horses podcast, the place to find out about wild horses in the American West, and what you can do to help them stay wild and free. These horses are magnificent. They are healthy, they are happy, and they are free, but they are in danger. If you love wildlife, wild horses, and the freedom that they stand for, this show is for you.
In the first episode of the podcast, I share what it was like encountering wild horses for the first time in the Red Desert in Wyoming, and how I began photographing and advocating for them. You’ll hear more about my first experience with these beautiful beings, the shock I experienced going through my first roundup, how this set me on a mission to show people what is really happening with these beings, and why we need the wildness that these horses give.
To celebrate the launch of this show, I’m giving away a 12”x18” metal print of Blue Zeus called Into the Blue, and two signed copies of my book, Blue Zeus: Legend of the Red Desert, to three lucky listeners who follow, rate, and review the show. Click here to learn more about the contest and how to enter, I’ll be announcing the winners in a future episode.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- How I was introduced to wild horses and their plight.
- What happens during a roundup, why they happen, and the worst part about them.
- Why wild horses matter to us and why we should fight to protect them.
- How wild horses are in danger despite living on America’s public land and what can we do about it.
- Who owns these wild horses.
- How the Bureau of Land Management and the Ag lobby respond to the situation of these wild horses.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- To celebrate the launch of this show, I’m giving away a 12”x18” metal print of Blue Zeus called Into the Blue, and two signed copies of my book, Blue Zeus: Legend of the Red Desert, to three lucky listeners who follow, rate, and review the show. Click here to learn more about the contest and how to enter, I’ll be announcing the winners in a future episode.
- Living Images by Carol Walker
- Wild Hoofbeats: America’s Vanishing Wild Horses by Carol Walker