Ep #23: A Vision for Wild HorsesJanuary 1, 2024
Ep #25: Spending Time with Wild Horses: Interview with Angelique Rea and Sandy SistiJanuary 29, 2024
I am very delighted to have Erik Molvar with me today. He’s a guest with vast knowledge about the health of our Western public lands, the role of wild horses on it, and the unfortunate, long-running systematic abuses that occur to both.
A wildlife biologist and executive director of the Western Watersheds Project, Erik Molvar is also an author of many hiking and camping guidebooks, a contributing writer and professional photographer for fiction and non-fiction work, and a lifelong activist/supporter for natural ecosystems. The Western Watersheds Project is a conservation nonprofit whose mission is to protect and restore wildlife and watersheds throughout the American West.
Today’s episode focuses on the intersection of our beloved wild horses, ecosystem/land health, and various government agencies and livestock industries more interested in profits. Listen to this informative interview with Erik Molvar as he shares his expertise and insight about these issues, along with solid solutions to protect those without a voice.
Subscribe to my blog to get more information on how you can help America’s wild horses.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- What wild horses, livestock grazing, and public lands have to do with a wildlife biologist.
- Why the livestock industry is responsible for most ecological damage to ecosystems, not wild horses.
- How the BLM and livestock managers manipulate, in their favor, wild horse management and grazing leases.
- When solutions such as checkerboard areas, land swaps, and consolidation of private and public lands can help prevent ecosystem erosion and save resources.
- Why and when public pressure and congressional action have come together to create impactful positive change.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Follow along on Facebook and Instagram!
- Living Images by Carol Walker
- Wild Hoofbeats Blog
- Wild Hoofbeats: America’s Vanishing Wild Horses by Carol Walker
- Western Watersheds Project
- Map: Livestock grazing on Wild Horse Herd Management Areas
- Wyoming’s Red Desert: A Photographic Journey by Erik Molvar
- Wild Horse Annie Act
- The Wild Free-Roaming Horse and Burro Protection Act, HR 3656
- Erik Molvar: “How federal land and wild horse management really work” – Elko Daily Free Press (Nov. 2023)