Time is Running Out for the Wild Horses of McCullough PeaksNovember 2, 2023
Ep #20: The Freedom of Information Act: Interview with Debbie CoffeyNovember 20, 2023
In the summer of 2004, I set out to find the wild horses in McCullough Peaks. It is a huge area of 120,000 acres of Plains Badlands, stunning views, and some of the most beautiful wild horses. On this particular day, I sat down at a distance from them and marveled at the variety of colors I saw, bays, browns, bay Pintos, sorrel Pintos, black and white Pintos, a gorgeous buckskin stallion and his buckskin family, blacks, grays, and palominos and more.
My favorite time of the day to visit the horses is at dawn. I love the soft quality and colors of the light. The horses are likely to be headed to water, which is a great time to see them interacting with one another, and sometimes even running in. Much of my time out there it’s just me and the horses. It is in times like this that I feel most part of the natural world. That is one of the gifts that these horses give me.
This week, tune in to hear about some of my favorite horses in McCullough Peaks. Every horse here has a story, relationships, a life. All of them deserve to live out their lives, wild and free in their home, on public lands, with their families. Sadly, the BLM has other horrible plans for them. The November 15th roundup needs to be stopped. And at this point, public outcry is the only thing left that can make a difference. We don’t want these precious wild horses to fade away into history.
Sign this petition to save the McCullough Peaks horses!
Subscribe to my blog to get more information on how you can help America’s wild horses.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Why I find peace and connection with wild horses through early morning observations.
- Who these wild American horses are and why I find each one intriguing.
- How these families live, survive, and change, before and after roundups.
- What the fate is of McCullough Peaks wild horses with BLM’s newest plan if no action is taken.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Follow along on Facebook and Instagram!
- Living Images by Carol Walker
- Wild Hoofbeats Blog
- Wild Hoofbeats: America’s Vanishing Wild Horses by Carol Walker
- American Wild Horse Campaign
- Photos of McCullough Peaks Horses
- McCullough Peaks HMA Map
- McCullough Peaks Talking Points – Nov. 15, 2023
- Sign this petition to save the McCullough Peaks horses!