Ep #19: The McCullough Peaks HerdNovember 6, 2023
Ep #21: Photographing Wild HorsesDecember 4, 2023
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is a federal law which gives the public the right to access records from any federal agency. FOIA helps keep our government transparent and accountable, and its records are used to reveal threats to the public’s health and safety, government misconduct, and waste.
Debbie Coffey is an expert in obtaining FOIAs, and has used her skills in aiding advocacy for the wild horses and burros with many organizations and for many lawsuits. She was co-host for the show Wild Horse and Burro Radio for six years, has held positions with several nonprofit organizations, and is a writer, speaker and activist.
Join Debbie and I this week as we discuss the increasing complexity regarding obtaining FOIAs, dealing with the BLM and their direct use of evasion, deception, and misrepresentation regarding wild horse population plans, and more. Most importantly, listen to the end to find out how you can help, especially if you’re a new advocate for wild horses and burros. Debbie offers a solid source for the history and next-steps of this ongoing but enriching journey into equine advocacy.
Subscribe to my blog to get more information on how you can help America’s wild horses.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- What FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) is.
- How FOIA relates to wild horse and burro issues.
- How the BLM is conspiring to control access to information, both on paper and online, regarding its devastating plans for wild horse populations.
- Why government transparency and Sunshine Laws are so important in saving the federally protected wild horses.
- Why Debbie Coffey’s work is crucial in the ongoing struggle with the BLM.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Follow along on Facebook and Instagram!
- Living Images by Carol Walker
- Wild Hoofbeats Blog
- Wild Hoofbeats: America’s Vanishing Wild Horses by Carol Walker
- American Wild Horse Campaign
- The Wild Horse and Burro Protection Act, HR 3656
- Wild Horse and Burro Radio
- American Herd Blogspot
- Mortality Detail Report, Gunnison Prison
- Mortality Detail Report, Palomino Valley
- Sally Spencer emails re sending 10,000 wild horses to slaughter